Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lessons From the Hard Rock Cafe

A few years ago my mother was in town, visiting with us.  I am sure, to some extent, my mother is probably similar to yours.  What I mean by that is that she would lean a little more conservative that you.  Regardless, such is the case for my mother.  What bothers her, doesn't necessary bother me.

Anyway...

While here in town, as a family we decided to go out to eat.  The closest place was the Hard Rock Cafe.  Not necessarily a restaurant that you would like to take your mother-who-is-an-immigrant-from-another-country-that-thinks-really-different-than-you-do-and-doesn't-really-like-loud-music-unless-it's-Sandi-Patty-or-Steve-Green-etc.  I think you get the picture.

While we were being served the great food from our server at Hard Rock, I couldn't help but notice the bar.  Now if you know me at all, I am not a drinking lush.  I don't go around every night, leaning on a counter of a local pub or bar, drinking with the rest of the world.  I certainly have more important things to do.  But what drew me to the bar had nothing to do with the bar itself.  I wasn't impressed with the fact that they could serve almost any mixed drink known to mankind, or that they had different glassware for each of them.  Nobody was even at the bar in fact (we were there for lunch).  No, what struck me were four distinct words that were painted on the wall behind the bar.  Four simple words.

Love All. Serve All.

I know for you who frequent Hard Rock, this tag line probably sounds familiar, but this time for me, it really struck me.  I kept thinking  that these four simple words have such power behind them, or least they can if they are implemented.

Years later, I am still struck by them.  They are still ringing in my head.  Lingering close to my heart.  They convict me.  What about me?  Am I loving all or am I loving some?  Am I serving all or am I just serving a few.  James reminds us to consider these things in the second chapter of his letter.
My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 
Strong words for us to consider for sure.

When I ponder the implications of loving all and serving all, I of course can't help but think of the Church.  I wonder how is the Church putting this into action.  I wish that the church that I went to had a "love all serve all" type of language in it's vision statement.  I even think that my personal mission statement should incorporate this type of thought behind it.

What about you?  How do you find yourself loving all?  How do you find yourself serving all?

Galatians 5:13:
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
Matthew 20:28
Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.”