Friday, June 4, 2010

Memory, It's Not Just a Game

Ok, for years I have felt convicted to memorize Scripture.  Well, not just memorize it, but to have it abide in me.  Rooted.  Deep down.  To have it in a place that I can bring it up to fight against the devil.

Now, I do know some Scripture, but most of the time, I can't remember where it's found.  So, I needed to find a solution.  I needed to find a way to get the Word in my head AND my heart.  With that in mind, I also knew that I have very little problems memorizing songs.  Aha - (light bulb moment here) I thought that there has to be a way to put these two things together.

I do realize that this may not be for everyone, but it may get your creative juices going on how you and perhaps your family can memorize Scripture.  So I go jogging five mornings a week.  I take with me an MP3 player with only one song it.  Our family has some CDs from the fine folks of Seeds Family Worship (which are great, by the way) and each one of those CDs contains 10 or so songs that are nothing but Scripture. 

So my plan this week was to take one song ("The Word of the Lord" from their record, Seeds of Faith) and memorize it.
1 Peter 1:24-25 - "All men are like grass and their glory is like the flowers of the field. The grass withers, and the flowers fall, but the Word of the Lord stands forever."
You know what?  It's working!  I am really excited about this!
That's it.  Next Monday, I will add a verse/song to the mix and start again.

What about you?  What tools do you use to memorize Scripture?

2 comments:

  1. This is really cool--i noticed the same thing, too, when i started listening to people like Jon Foreman, whose songs are ripe with God's word.
    Maybe we can start a Scripture Song Club!
    That would be fun, and we could go caroling all throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroling through the year, singing Scripture! I love that!!!

    ReplyDelete