Monday, July 12, 2010

The Worthless Idols

My first car was a 1978 Honda Civic.  Nothing fantastic about it except that it got great gas mileage.
Well, and it had a sun-roof.
And it had a kickin stereo.
I had sheep skin covers on the seats.
And it had a license plate that read "ITS ME"

It was a great car and I really enjoyed it.  Who wouldn't right?  I used my Civic through my senior year of high school as well as my first couple of years of college.  I drove it all the way from Oregon to Michigan.  It got me to school, the movies, work, the beach and everywhere in between.  My car was my freedom.

Slowly and surely though, my car disappeared from my sight.  Not like a dream vanishing from us once we wake up, but in a real tangible way.

  • First it was my prism hanging from my review mirror.  I was at the mall once and someone apparently needed more than I.
  • Next while I was driving from Montana to Michigan, I pulled into a truck stop to gas up.  When I went to start it... I soon discovered that the starter was out...
  • Then it was my most awesome stereo.  It was while I was I was attending Bible college.  I had locked my doors, but not the hatch.  In the middle of the night, someone opened the hatch, then unlocked the door left my car, but took my stereo.  My car remained silent.
  • Soon it became the car itself.  One day while I was traveling from Grand Rapids to the shore of Lake Michigan, the engine died.  Not just a "out of gas" died, or a "I think it may need new spark plugs" died, but a true death died.

My most awesome Honda Civic was gone.

It dawned on me that perhaps this car, was more than just transportation for me.  Perhaps it was becoming something more.  Sounds a little weird typing this now, but could this car be a status symbol?  Could it have been more to me than God?  Was this why, He felt it necessary to take it from me?  Little by little... He was bringing the axe to this idol.

I am reminded of Jonah's prayer while he was in the belly of that great fish;
Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love.
How true is that?
So my prayer for today is that God would continue to show me my idols.  Whether they are physical or spiritual.  I pray that He would bring the axe to them.

Uproot them all.

1 comment:

  1. Hey John,

    Since you haven’t responded on my Blog, I thought I would visit you on yours. You sound like someone I have known all my life… in fact you could be me a few years ago. You have the same self assurance and the same boldness about Jesus and the Supremacy of God as I had and the same absolute, well 98% perhaps, confidence that you are right and the rest of the heathen world is wrong.

    That was what got me in the end, John… that 2% doubt that kept nagging at me, saying “but there just something that’s not quite right about Christianity.”

    If you take the time to meditate on it John, it is just possible that one day you will wake up as I did and realize that it is your Christianity that is your Idol and your expectation that Jesus is somehow going to get us out of this mess that keeps you from knowing God’s true will for your life. Jesus showed us the way John… by doing God’s Will all the way to the Cross! How close to being crucified are you?

    SOHAM…

    Wayne
    www.wayne-matthysse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete