Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Conviction AND Encouragement

The Bible study that I am attending is going through Paul's first letter to the church in Thessalonica.  This has been a great book.  Lots of discussion and encouragement from other guys in our group.
This morning, the verses that struck me were the following:
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
I have been convicted lately of how I blow things out of proportion and I don't always see the good in things.  Here, God is convicting me again to be joyful - always, to prayer, and to be thankful for all things. When I read that, I don't see room to blow things out of proportion.
I am also convinced that God is the one working in me to produce those kinds of actions. For it IS God's will that this would be done in me. In you. Paul continues that thought of sanctification in verse 24 by saying that He who called us is faithful. He will do it.

I love how the Word does that. It brings to light both our own sin and the grace of Christ to cover it.

No comments:

Post a Comment