Thursday, July 11, 2013

Honey, There Are Weeds in the Back Yard

When we moved into our new home, we found it to be real easy.  We were the first owners after all. The windows were clean. The drawers had no crumbs. The dishwasher was spotless. The front yard was lush.

If anyone drove up to see us, they wouldn't have to think very hard to see that we had it all together. The house looked good. We looked good. We smelled good. It was good.

Except there was a problem. We never opened the blinds on the back of the house. Why? you may ask?  

The builders had given us great sod for the front and side yards, but left the back yard up to us.  Do you know how hard it is to transform a plot of clay into lush, thick, green grass? Let's just say that it's easier to teach a fish how to ride a bicycle.

Lately that memory has had me thinking. In what ways have I made myself look good? In what ways have I attempted to cover up my sin on my own? Am I pretending to be ok in the eyes of God without coming to Him in confession? In other words, am I trying to ignore the weeds in the back yard of my heart? 

Hosea 5:15 says, "I will return again to my place, until they acknowledge their guilt and seek my face, and in their distress earnestly seek me."

My thought this morning is that I need to continually be on my knees - confessing my sins. In doing so, I will be truly free. Remember what the prophet Zechariah said about Jesus? Luke 1:77, He will "give knowledge of salvation to his people in the forgiveness of their sins."

How is your lawn doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment