Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Biggest Loser


Ok, I have to admit this. I am a fan of NBC's The Biggest Loser.

I know, I know, you all are probably saying, "Isn't there something better that you could be watching on TV?"

Well, what can I say? I like the show. I like the weigh ins, I like the "last chance workout" scenes, I like the challenges. I like the show. A lot.

In fact, I like it so much that many times I find myself in tears during each episode. Doesn't that sound strange?

Let me explain. When I watch this show, I can not help but see how this parallels a spiritual walk. These "contestants" are on a specific mission. They have a goal in mind - to loose weight. Together. They know that they can't do it alone. They recognize where they have come from and where they are going.

To some extent, isn't that similar to our journey? Are we not on a specific mission? (To walk in a Christ-like manner). Do we not have a goal in mind? (To make the name of Christ more known). Are we not in community? (The family of God, the Bride of Christ). We do not have to look very far or hard to see where are "past" is. (Once a slave to sin, now a slave to righteousness). And we know that He who began a good work in us will complete it. (Sanctification).

Then Bob and Jullian say:
"Don't give up..."
"I am not leaving you here..."
"I see a champion here..."
"Your family needs you..."
"You are strong..."
"Choose to live..."
"Do it..."
"Focus my friend..."
"Good job..."

Those are the words that we need to be giving each other. To some extent, we are all coaching each other in this life.
We need to.
I want to be in your life and I want you to be in mine.

So here are my thoughts on how this can work in our Christian walk:
  • Don't give up reading the Bible. It really is our power source. We can't live without it.
  • Your family needs you. They need you to be strong. They need you to lead them in following Christ. Husbands, lead your wives. Wives, lead your husbands. Parents, lead your children. Young adults, lead your peers.
  • Pray. Realize that you are not alone, because He is with you.
  • Choose your life in Christ. You have been crucified with Him, now live in His resurrection.

2 Timothy 6:11-12
Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment