Thursday, May 27, 2010

He Was Here First

If you are anything like me you pray to God like this,
“God I need you to move in this situation.”
“I need you to show up in my life here.”
“I need to come and change this for me.”
“I need you to do something here”

The truth is we have it backwards. 
It’s always been His plan. 
This is His universe. 
He has created us into it. 
It’s always been His “party” and He has just invited us to it.

He was the one who was here first.

He is the one who is orchestrating all things. 
He is working all things to work to the end for His own glory. 
All of this… this… stuff is here so that He will be glorified in it.

When we start to pray, “God, where are you? How come You are not showing up here?”  Are we not restating what already is?  If God is already here and He is already working, what are we really crying out for?

Sometimes when we are praying, we are trying to manipulate God into doing what we want done, rather than praying for God’s will to be done.

Psalm 131 
O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forevermore.

2 comments:

  1. How easily we think that our plan is perfect and we're in control. God must have a good chuckle over those thoughts. Thanks for the reminder, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in the end, it's grace right. All grace.

    ReplyDelete