Friday, April 9, 2010

The Impending Doom From the Jellyfish

This past week, my family was vacationing on the Gulf Coast. Periodically, while we were in the water, we would see some jellyfish floating by. I believe that they were dead, but they were still in the water floating by – ominously. On occasion I wouldn’t see them until they were right next to me. Not a problem, I never touched them. All of us were safe – whether they were dead or not. We let them float on by.

Of course while we were on the beach, there were others that were there as well. Other parents with their kids. Other adults. Just normal people. What was wild to me was that a couple of times a jellyfish would float a little close to us and the others would point out the potential “danger” to us. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am all for fellow human beings helping each other out. I don’t want a dead jellyfish rubbing up against my leg. Who knows if those things are still poisonous…

This is what made me think. Here is this guy, whom I have never met before, telling me of potential “danger.” [I put “danger” in parenthesis because I am really not sure if we were really in “danger.” Know what I mean?] Nevertheless, I was thankful for what he was doing.  So here is the rub. Are you and I comfortable doing the same thing? Why is it that many times in the church men are offended when instructed on impending danger (sin)?

I took the advice from this kind stranger and moved away from the dead jellyfish. Like I said before, those things look a little weird and I don’t really want to touch one. The question is though; what if he would have told me that sin was crouching at my door and ready to pounce? How would I have reacted? How would you react to someone saying something like that to you?

What are your thoughts? Do you feel comfortable telling a complete stranger about sin being close by? Do you feel comfortable telling someone in your small group that sin is close by? Would you like it if someone confronted you? 

I am praying for a bold heart. With that in mind, I encourage you to approach me when you see sin near me, because my friend, I will do the same for you.

2 Timothy 1:7, “for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”

No comments:

Post a Comment